Spartan Speedway - March 2011 Newsletter

Sue sue at spartanspeedway.com
Mon Mar 7 11:05:10 EST 2011

March Newsletter:

What was supposed to be a monthly newsletter has evolved into a when I get to it newsletter.  None the less I continue to convince myself that I will get better at getting to the newsletter but that just doesn't seem to happen.  I also keep soliciting for guest writers to bail me out but we have had few takers.  If anyone has interest in being a guest writer just send your letter along via email,  Sandy will do some editing and we will send the letter out.  My message is usually simply updates about Spartan, our drivers or employees.  I think there are countless stories about someone's racing career or race track experiences that would make a good newsletter.

The 2011 season is shaping up very nicely.  The schedule is done for the most part but still requires some tweaking such as specials, sponsor nights, filling in a couple of shows, etc.  There are a couple of 6.00 per person shows and even a Wednesday night show scheduled.  We will also see Dewayne Spaw again, the ARCA F-8 Motor City Madmen, the Basement Dawgs, 5 Slugfests and 2 School Bus F-8's.

A new division has been added for 2011, which I am sorry to say we haven't even named yet.  This division will consist of cars that race the flag pole, push-pull, skid plate, chain and trailer races.  Points will be awarded, much like our other divisions and the champion will receive one of our coveted Champion's Hood at the Driver's Award Banquet on October 15th.  Our other divisions are shaping up nicely with good car counts expected in the Late Models, the Sawyer Chevrolet Wingless Sprints, the Valvoline Instant Oil Change Modifieds, Lipari Foods Spartan Stocks and the Boss Snow Plow Equipment Pony Stocks.

Spartan again this season will donate any money that is generated through fines and penalties to a charitable organization.  Levying fines is not my favorite job but it is necessary to maintain a reasonably safe and peaceful environment for everyone.  The money does go to charitable causes and the fines are a better tool than any other option we have tried in the past.

The Dorothie A. Zimmerman Memorial Park will be dedicated this summer.  We will announce the date as soon as we have enough progress to be sure the park will be completed.  If you have a person or team that you would like to have memorialized we are offering bricks for sale.  The bricks will be put in the sidewalk that passes through the park.  All the information is on the front page at www.spartanspeedway.com.  For those that knew Dorothie also knew that she was the heart and soul of Spartan Speedway from 1977 to 1989, when she passed.  For those that did not know Dorothie she was my Mother.  She died way too young and has never been properly recognized for her work and commitment to Spartan.  I plan on changing that.

There is much more to write about but I need to save some ammo for next month's newsletter (that was a joke).  Please take a look at the web site for much more information pertaining to the 2011 Spartan Speedway season.

See you soon,
Jim