Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Saturn...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
idiotracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know why a Honda Civic with the 1.5L motor would not be legal? The Honda Accord with the same motor is.
idiotracer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake...The Accord would actually have 1.75L motor. But still, why would the Civic with a smaller motor not be allowed?
daytonapony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiotracer wrote:
My mistake...The Accord would actually have 1.75L motor. But still, why would the Civic with a smaller motor not be allowed?

Because it doesn't fit the rules?
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
idiotracer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
If I ever get a ride you will be the first one that I "rattle your cage"...LOL
Seriously though, why would they not allow the Honda Civic with the 1.5L or even the 1.6L. Possibly weight issues? Although I would guess that it is very similar to the Neon's.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy.. the track just hasn't been very progressive in allowing the later model 4-cylinder cars.

at some point in the future.. they'll have to because finding good condition 8v - SOHC cars is getting harder and harder, and they are becoming "vintage" cars, so they are getting more and more expensive when you do find them.

obviously the track knows this, that's why they allowed the neon.. why they allowed the neon and not the probe or the honda, I don't know.. there is probably an agenda there someplace, but no one will admit to it and/or acknowledge it.

It wouldn't be hard to do.. to allow all FWD 4-Cylinder cars to race, the track just sets up an engine displacement/valve count = exhaust size rule.. Tricknology discussed it throughly how to do it..

But no one has taken on the task.. till then.. the rules are what the rules are.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiotracer wrote:
Thanks for the info.
If I ever get a ride you will be the first one that I "rattle your cage"...LOL
Seriously though, why would they not allow the Honda Civic with the 1.5L or even the 1.6L. Possibly weight issues? Although I would guess that it is very similar to the Neon's.

I hope for your sake you never "rattle someones cage" while racing. Myself and the roughly 10 teamates I have all frown upon this behavior very highly along with practically everyone else in the class.

That being said the honda is not legal because it does not fit our rules. Patrick would like to belive there is some huge massive conspiricy to keep out certain cars. The fact of the matter is pretty simple. When the rules were written the cars they built to those rules were very plentiful and worked very well. The cars were low budget and low tech. After a few years people began to figure out how to make the cars go fast. That weeded out the fords and most everything else besides the Cavi's and 2.5 Dodge's. These cars can still be had very very cheap. Most of them are simply not in very good shape anymore. There was a racer who steped up a couple of years ago and approched the track about allowing SOHC Neons to race. He built the car, raced the car, and helped the track establish how to handicap the cars. Noone else has offered to do this. Most of the "talk" about the other cars is simply whining about them not being legal.

The Honda's in my opinion should not be allowed to run at all. This is not because I hate them (which I do for other reasons) but it is simply because there is any number of combinations of motors and suspensions available that are all stock parts. Most of the cars we race require 100 pounds or less of lead to put them at the minimum weight. A honda civic could require up to 3-400 pounds or more of lead to make the minimum weight. That amount of weight can seriously alter a cars handling characteristics for the better. A smart racer could place that weight in so many places to help it's not funny. Combine all those and I will campaign till I'm blue in the face to not allow honda's.

Patricks "super" pony he believes is a Ford Probe. Being under probe's and working with their engines I have no fear of them being a threat at all so I would lobby for them to run. If someone were to build one properly and work with the management to make it "competative" aka limit it or let it follow the current rules it would probably be allowed. However most people want to buy a "hot" one or buy one already built that is not close to right.

One day the rules will be opened up even more. That honda civic may become legal. Then again DOHC Neons will also probably be legal then. If thats the case I will continue to build/run/campaign a Neon.

The rules are great as they are now. A good/smart racer/builder is going to still run up front right now with the cars that are legal. A person building /buying their first car should look at what is working and buy or build off that. Not lobby and complain because they can't run a different car. The cars up front are there for a reason.

So for cliff notes. "It's against the rules thats why" Long explenation above. Just remember the Neon still has plenty of potential, when all the other "hot" cars are allowed in don't be suprized to see some Neons still winning/running up front.
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: