Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Safety Wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDR1979

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Safety Wheels Reply with quote

I think Spartan Speedway should open up the safety wheel rule to include the 14x7 wheel. Bassett has some cheaper in cost the Diamond Wheel. What is 1 more inch? Not much!!

http://www.bassettwheel.com/14x7_14x8_dhole.html
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wheels Reply with quote

BDR1979 wrote:
What is 1 more inch?

2 to 3 tenths of a second.

The horsepower cheaters will get off turn 2 better.

They will let you go further into turn 3 before braking.

Overall, this makes the straightaways longer.

And those who don't hit the rev limiters, the Neons with the cheating Mopar Performance computers (that would be those who pulled the boards out and put them into stock cases) will do even better.

Yes, save money on your wheels but drive other costs up and scare newcomers away.

-Maurice
BDR1979

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont see any harm in running the bigger wheels. If you know some people are cheating then why not become the Tech for the Pony Stocks, and catch them.
JRJ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has been there and done that, enough said. Keep the wheel rule as is.
BDR1979

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously its one inch! This would help out so many drivers by making it cheaper cost on the wheels plus open it up to another company to go to for the wheels. Diamond is not reliable!
abcggarza

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they open up the wheel rule then that would start the debate over running hoosiers. And what about people that dont use race wheels, they are just left out in the cold. They allow us to run safety wheel on right front as more of an option so stock wheels dont break. I totally agree that cheaper wheels would be better and Diamond wheels are slow but, until other manufacturers take notice that we need them we are stuck with Diamond.
Pony Stock #14
BDR1979

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a fan of racing without a safety wheel on the right front! Its so much more safer that way! If the center of a regular wheel blows out that not only puts that driver in danger, but also the fans and other drivers on the track. I wasnt looking to have the tire rule change. Just the safety wheel rule.
abcggarza

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you are saying but as I have noticed with discussions in the past, once one thing gets changed then some people say "well, what about this and what about that. If you can do this then why cant I do that." Just the nature of the beast. The reason we can run a 6" wheel with 3" offset is because that is the closest we can get to a stock wheel so, we can still be considered a "stock" class. But again, I understand where youre coming from but there are drivers out that will take things to the extreme when given the smallest opportunity.
Pony Stock #14
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also keep in mind, bigger wheels, better gripping tires equals faster speeds, able to go into the corners faster and harder and this being done on stock wheel bearings not made for this kind of use. Is this safe? Time will tell.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a rule that should be applied instead of a new wheel rule: A new RF tire rule.

Look at it this way, the Sprint cars have a RR tire rule, perhaps the Pony Stocks should have a RF tire rule.

There has been talk in the past about having a spec tire on the Pony Stocks, but it always gets defeated because it would force everyone to buy 4-6 new tires and keeps the budget teams from using hand me downs or whatever used tires they can dig up.

Well having just one spec tire wouldn't be so bad. I think the RF tire should be a tire that is hard, doesn't grip well, and lasts a long time.

If it doesn't grip well, there is less strain on the wheel and hub and less chance of breakage. Plus it slows down the higher horsepower cars more than it would the lower horsepower cars and the competition would tighten up.

Buying just one spec tire wouldn't be such a hardship.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: