Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Sumitono Tires
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Sumitono Tires Reply with quote

From what I have been hearing the "go to" tire, the Sumitono is no longer available. This may create a little bit of an issue with opening day so close.

Please tell me what you know and what our options are if indeed this is the case. Or tell me if it isn't the case where to get them and what they will cost.

If the Sumitono is no longer available we may opt for the 790. We have held out so far because we did not want to go to a race tire. Also if this is the case I worry about the people that still have decent Sumitonos. The 790 would likely be a superior (faster) tire.
NEED mopar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tire rack sumo still make the sizes but in the htrt4 the tread ware is higher 380 to 560 has anyone tried it But there is alot of other street tires out there might make it interesting ? Laughing
cajracing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing some research for the tires out here in Colorado. It does seem like I can get them, but at what price I don't know yet. Give me a few days to hear back from some people I have calls in to.

Steve
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to keep this thread open for a little longer.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sumitomo HTR200 has been by all apperances been discontinued. Everywhere we have looked they are out with no more available. Tirerack.com was actually kind of grumpy when we called because they have had to field so many questions about them.

This puts the racers in an interesting spot. Those that can find a hidden stash will snap them up. Those that can't have to try and find a suitable replacement. Over the last 4 years I personally have ran 4 other tires on my race car. Every tire I have tried was slower. Some noticibly so, some only .2 or so. If we stay with the tire rule as written it will force racers to try new tires. The problem with that is, well simply finding what works.

I can't afford to be trying new tires every week. If I try a new tire that means I had to buy new tires. If I'm .2-.4 seconds slower then I will want a new tire. It's how us racers are. Nobody wants to be half a second slower a lap just because their tires are not as good.

The other prediciment is that the 790 will also cost racers money. The 790 will absolutly be THE tire to have if it's allowed. The 790 will be .5-.75 of a second faster just from gripping better. There isn't a street tire under the current rules that can compete with it. There are some out there with a much lower treadwear rating, they also cost upwards of $200 a tire.

The 790 CAN be ran with the current rims we all have. Berlin is running the 790 on 6inch wide racing rims or stock rims. That is the same rules we have right now. If Spartan kept the rim rule the same, racers would only incur the cost of tires.

I personally believe the 790 would be the way to go. Allow street tires to still be ran under the current rules. It WILL cause some racers to go out and buy the 790's. Without a doubt it will, myself included. However if someone couldn't afford it, they would still be allowed to race.

The 790 lasts considerably longer. For the last 2 years we have been running 790's at different races. We have only completely wore out 2 tires. Last year at SMS I ran the 790's roughly 8-10 races. My times were consistant throughout those races. I didn't drop off speed with older and older tires. When I put a new RF tire on for the end of the year I ran the same time I did with a 2 year old RF. The cost savings of not wearing out a 790 will help offset the initial cost of the tires.

I will be bringing my set of 790's to practice Saturday. I will run a few sessions on the Sumitomo's then switch. That will give a rough estimate of the increase in speed. If there is enough time I would be up for also allowing one or two other racers to try them. Laughing as long as they don't get tore up Laughing

I do not envy your position Jim. You are going to upset racers/cost them money regardless of your choice. I personally am for the 790's but will still be there if we have to find a suitable replacement for the Sumitomo's. If yourself or anyone else has questions about the 790's my phone number is 517 667 4018, leave me a message if I don't answer.

Todd Metz Jr.
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
cajracing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with Sumitomo and the tires are discontinued! Belle Tire or Budget tire may still have some they said.

Steve
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does someone have an optional DOT tire in mind? Something comparable to the Sumitomo?
governor72

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: tires, A vs B Reply with quote

No dog in the fight, but how about the A cars sell their Sumitomo's to the B cars, then just A cars run 790 or any tire within the rules and don't allow 790 in the B class.

This gives the A drivers a way to recoup some of what the 790 would cost and some B cars to get some used Sumitomo's.

Gov
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that when you go to a tire that has a lot more grip and your running them on stock hubs and spindles there might be some premature failures from the excessive side force especially at Spartan where the turns are tight.
Dirt63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: new tire Reply with quote

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=single&sku=321126106

I think this would be a good tire to use.
Dirt63

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Kelly use to make a good tire for them. I believe that Mike Putnum used these with the LeMans when he raced. Not sure the model though.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Todd, the 790 will save racers money.

Now and in the long run.

The 790 is less expensive then a Sumo that's been shaved (and/or heat cycled) - so right off the bat, they are less expensive. They also last a lot longer and don't chunk (less debris on track) and are less likely to blow out (less yellows).

Plus - The track can stock them, so if you pop a tire or two at the track, your not screwed.

If someone wants to run junk yard tires, let them.. they'll be in the B, that's probably where they are anyhow.

790's are available in 14" and 15" sizes with varying circumference, meaning cars can find right size to match gearing..
RJenkins

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't race Spartan much but Owosso has said they will be matching tire rules so I want to get my two cents in.

I agree with Todd also. We have tried a half dozen different tires. None of them work as well as the Sumo. As Todd said there are some that are decent but still don't give the all around performance and ability to withstand the heat of the Sumo. The only tire we have found that will race with the Sumo has heat issues and will at times zipper in the center on a hot day and a long run.

The 790's will save money in the long run and give more flexibility on gearing.

Opening up the tire to a 65 series will open up more expensive tires and make gearing issues much more of a problem on many models.

The tires can be bought at the track and the track can make a little money too.

790 is a win/win choice.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a spec tire is still being considered, now is the time to implement it. But in any case, here's a few things to think about:

Exactly what John Ward said. There are periodic hub and other suspension part failures now. It will be worse with a tire that grips better and goes faster in the corners.

Todd Metz might be able to answer this one correctly, but I'm thinking some cars will have clearance issues with the 790 and will have to switch to a different offset wheel. Then there will be fender clearance issues as well. Not all cars, but some. It could be a problem. It seems as though I've only seen Todd's 790's mounted with wheels having an extra offset.

Yes, the 790 will be a good tire to race on as far as going fast, lasting a while, etc. Some will figure out how to make the tire faster than others. Smile

Just like Rob stated, stay away from the 65 series. Those who are cheating with computers can run higher revs with the 65 series tire and will dominate. The Neons are just about at their limit now with the 70 series tire.

This class should run a slower, readily available street tire. Personally, I think switching to the 790 tire will kill the class. The 2003 Street Stock class was also a good class, remember?

-Maurice
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more mention here. Since the 790 will grip better, it will allow a car with more torgue at the right RPM to beat everyone off the corner. This will promote cheating because now, the tire won't be the limiting factor. It will allow more work to be done to the engines. And that's why it will kill the class.

As long as a good motor can spin the left front tire a little, the lesser engines have a chance to keep up. Spinning the left front tire also creates a push off the corner and helps those who drive right to compete with that better engine.

Allowing the 790 on a Pony Stock is the same as going back to the 10 inch slick on the Supers. And it's also the same reason you have a RR tire rule on the Sprints.

Also, don't worry about what Berlin is doing. It doesn't matter.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: