Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Sprint car rules

View previous topic :: View next topic  
racestarrr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Sprint car rules Reply with quote

Has there been any talk about a Sprint car rules meeting or online discussion?

I have a few talking points:

What is the tire situation for 2011?

Can we clarify the weight rule and make sure that it is where we want it to be? If we are going to give dirt cars a break? How much and how do we define a dirt car?

Could we consider doing group qualifying as opposed to not qualifying?

Overall I was pretty happy with the rules and the way races were conducted last year, but maybe it can be even better.

Thoughts?

Doug
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, We can schedule a time to get together. I would suggest we start with a few thoughts on line and then carry through with a time and place to get together for those that do not use a computer or would like to talk face to face.

The question that lingers from last season is the weight for dirt cars and as you mentioned (how to define). Should dirt cars get a break? How much? What defines a dirt car?

I will start out by asking the above questions. Please keep in mind that I really like to keep it simple.
racestarrr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Defining a dirt car and keeping it simple:

* Torsion bars in the rear
* Jacobs ladder
* Lefthand steering
* Engine height (I don't know where to draw the line)

3 of the 4 are quick visual checks

Weight:
With a 1600 lb pre-race weight rule, I would think 1450-1500 for a dirt car would reasonable.
GavinHunyady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no way on the dirt car weight break, its too hard to tech. I mean I think there are Drinan cars out there that meet the "visual" checks with jacob's ladders, not sure on the torsion bars, but lots of pavement cars can have them. Fewer rules is best in my opinion. Weight, offset, RR tire... done. With the turn out that it sounds like you'll be getting, I don't see a need to have "come out and try it" rules in place.

Quote:
There will be no qualifying and drivers will draw a pill for starting heat positions. Odd numbers will be in Heat 1, and even numbers in Heat 2. Top four (4) finishers in each Heat are locked into the Feature and will redraw for starting positions 1 - 8. The fifth place finisher in Heat 1 will start ninth in the Feature and the fifth place finisher in Heat 2 will start tenth. Sixth place in Heats will start 11th and 12th and so on for the remainder of the field.

If the field exceeds 21 cars, three Heats will be ran and the top 3 from each Heat will be locked into the Feature. The same procedure as above will be used for the remainder of the Feature line-up.

I do think this is a little ambiguous and I can see why some guys didnt like the draw format. Personally I hate qualifying, and I would rather have the late hotlap session instead to help keep heat in the motors and help out the guys that work fridays and travel a little further.

For example, what happens to the format with more than 21 cars? B-main lineup? How many transfer, 11?

I can see why the draw isnt so attractive in this format, maybe including a passing points system would be better? That way a guy that draws dead last in a heat race, still has a shot if he passes a couple of cars.

ASCS uses this matrix to line up everything after the heats, draw your starting spot, get your number of passing points, and the top 8 redraw for the top 8 starting positions, the top 16 start the A and 4 transfer from a B that is lined up on passing points. It seems to be a pretty even way of making it all work out. **NOTE** a guy that starts 7th and gets 3rd gets more passing points than a guy that wins from the pole.

That's just my take. I'm worried that group qualifying might open a whole new can of worms, I would want to be the first person fired each time, wouldn't you? Show needs to keep moving, taking time for everyone to get heat and get ready for a group QF session might be a long wait for not much excitement.

Jim,
I doubt you'll get much more feedback in the open forum, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts, and what you need out of the race format to make it work for you and the track.
racestarrr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad somebody else weighed in, Thanks Gavin.

I still think that group qualifying is better than no qualifying.

You have a good point about the ambiguity of a field larger than 21.
I understand locking in the top 8 or 9 for the re-draw, but more than 8 or 9 cars would need to be locked into the feature from heats. Probably 15.

If heat sizes ended up being 10 cars regularly, then qualifying or passing points would be that much more important.

DD
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Sprints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: