Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Street stock to Pure stock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Coleman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Street stock to Pure stock Reply with quote

I am looking to get into pure stock racing and need some help. Ive been looking for a roller and have found alot of street stock prepped cars but very few if any pure stock ready cars. I wanted to know the main differences other than motor and trans that would keep a street stock out of the pure stock class? most of the street stocks i have found have modified fire walls, no factory bumpers, and motor set back from stock position. Ive been racing motorcycles for the last 25yrs and cannot continue but have the desire to race something. I grew up around car racing with my father and cousins but never got into driving. I have knowledge of auto racing so feel free to talk specifics, I will understand what you mean. Thanks in advance for everyones assistance!
flying14

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom,

Biggest things that'll prevent a Street Stock from becoming a pure stock are a Screw Jacks, Altered Suspension mounting points.

Engine Setback is fine for the 2010 season however in 2011 you'll have to change it. it's a quick and easy fix though, i moved my motor forward for the Owosso Nationals in about 2 days. so it's possible to do without much work.

The Screw Jack issue can be solved one of two ways, remove them or weld them inoperable. Spartan and Springport allowed that in 2007 and 2008.

as for the relocated mounts, that's a slippery slope to navigate. personally i'd stay away from any cars that have the suspension mounting points moved.

otherwise it's no big deal to convert a car. i know spartans rules were originally intended to allow drop down cars so there are provisions for non stock firewalls, floor pans, etc...

Hope that helps,
Kyle.
Tom Coleman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kyle,
Thanks for responding so quickly and for the info. I have a car in mind that was raced at springport and spartan a few years ago in the street stock class. Chassis is an 83 malibu metric . It does have a modified firewall around the trans hump to allow the engine set back with solid motor mounts and has a ford 9" rear end. The owner tells me the #1 spark plug is about 3/4" in front of the ball joint. The car does not have original bumpers and has plastic nose and tail in place. It does not have screw jacks on it now but comes with them. It has stock a-arms and from what he tells me the suspension location is original. I can get it as a roller cheap with alot of spare parts. It was raced by Brandon Montgomery #44 out of Charlotte? Thanks again!

Tom
flying14

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9 inch won't fly i don't think. so you'd have to put a stock rear end back under it. however it should work out for you.
Tom Coleman

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, should I speak with tech at the track or are you pretty sure a 9" is a no go? I know it has to use a 4 link suspension and spring cups to work so I kninda thought it would be stretch to be legal. Guess i'll keep searching as the mounts for stock axle looked to be removed. Thanks again!
flying14

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 9" would be a no go in the pures, main reason why is the gear selection available.

I know Adam Gusey has a very good pure stock for sale in the classified section on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: