Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Pony Stock Figure 8 Pay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Pony Stock Figure 8 Pay Reply with quote

Spartan is pleased to announce that we will be increasing the Pony F-8 payoff. The Pony Sock has put on a good show and now we would like to take the car count to the next level so we will make the first commitment. The new pay off will be as follows:

1. 200
2. 125
3. 100
4. 90
5. 80
6. 70
7. 60
8 and down 50.

There is a lot that can happen in a Figure 8 so anyone can win on any given day. There will also be large tires placed on all of the corners so you will need to race between them and not take the corners as wide in future races. There will also be a hood for the Champion at the Drivers Banquet. For those that have been running the Pony F-8. Great Job.
governor72

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Jim,

Large tires? I can tell you that the Large tires Russ used to have at Springport will knock the rear end out of a race car, trust me I know this to be fact.

Not sure how large you are talking, but those things are very destructive.

Gov
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for a volunteer to stand in the corner and direct traffic but no one applied for the job so I thought we could use a tire. We have used them for most of our other F-8 events but didn't put them out for the last race. I guess we can look at options but somehow we lost the concept of racing on the black top. It is not too late though, unemployment is high maybe someone will still apply. Part of the job requirement is that you need to be able to move "real" fast and it is a bonus if you can jump really high as well.
cajracing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should consider penalizing those who don't stay on the black top. Obviously there will be times where it is unavoidable, but there is no reason you should have to drive in the grass/dirt to pass someone or to make your turns. It's not allowed during normal racing and it shouldn't be allowed in figure 8 racing either. Just my opinion.

Steve
rooster07

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"stay off the grass" poor paul
Dirt63

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have run with the tires and I have found that there are goods and bads about them. They are nice in the way people cant cut the corner and drive into the side of your car to straighten themselves out and it makes people a little bit more aware of where they are on the track. It also keeps a lot of the dust down. Bad part, if you catch the back end of a pony on one you bounce off. A lot of times into another car. Cars can run you into the tires as well which tears the cars up. But hey its figure 8 racing and you know you are going to get some dents. I personally like the tires.

Joe
goinincircles22

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the tires there too but if you hit one with a pony your done for the night. I suggest using some of those tall orange cones, one in each corner.
John
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires for the win..
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Auto City, we have the big tractor tires on both sides just as the cars enter the straights. They are probably about 6 feet from the asphalt. We run the larger Pure Stocks and they get in between the tires very well even while racing side by side.

What really helps is we also have 4 tires near the intersection. This forces the drivers to get straightened out and back onto the asphalt before going through the intersection. These are the smaller tractor tires, so they won't tear up the car if they get hit.

Having the bigger tires where the turns join the straights is OK because the drivers are slowing way down for the turn. The smaller ones are near the intersection because they are going fast at that point.

We also tell the drivers that they are not allowed to run the full stretch in the dirt. If they don't make an effort to get back onto the asphalt, they might find out later at the pay window that they got docked a spot or two.

Anyway, the Pony Stocks should be able to drive in between two big tractor tires at the start of the straight without any problem.

The important thing is the drivers have to respect each other and when running side by side, they must both maintain that attitude so they can stay side by side as they go between the tires. They both know which lane they should aim for.

-Maurice
daytonapony

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

As a pony figure 8 driver I have to say THANK YOU for the extra pay. It really is nice to have the show we put on noticed. Now if only we could run more races in a year Laughing

As far as the champion/hood is concerned how will you decide the champion? I'm trying to make a serious run at it and want to know if my DNF in the first race has already taken me out of contention.

The tires I like and I don't like. Being one of only a few in this thread that actually have driven with and without I find a few ideas funny. The reason that people have been taking the corners "wider" without the tires is because it's faster. You can arc the corner more and come onto the straight away with more speed. With the tires there your forced to run a different line and it is slower going on the straight aways. That isn't neccisarisly a bad thing as it will lessen any X hits to an extent. It will also keep the dust down.

I was in a race where the driver was trying to use the tires as a "pick". He was trying to run me into them or make me brake to avoid them. It ended up that lap after lap, corner after corner we made contact. It put on a good show but it wasn't good for either car. That wasn't the fault of the tire, it is simply an example of how they can also be bad.

Personally I like the idea of keep the dust down but dislike the idea of hitting a tire. In the long run I think it's for the better and I won't complain about the tires being there.

HOWEVER putting a tire/anything near the X is IMHO a bad idea. It's easy to say "they should stay on the pavement" if you've never done it. It's quite another to come from a 6 car wide piece of pavement onto a 2 car wide piece. You are GOING to go in the grass, even if you don't want to. It's slower, trust me you don't WANT in the grass. If you are in the grass though you don't want to lift and try to turn in before the X. It will cause you to get very squirlly and if anyone is racing on the pavement behind you they stand a good chance of hitting you very hard. It's much better to stay in it in the grass, get to the pavement of the X, start slowing down, and "merge" in. It's safer and quite honestly puts on a heck of a better show. If you were to put tires near the X I personally believe you would see ALOT more incidents. Alot of pony figure 8 drivers don't go quite "balls out" like I do through the X. If 2 cars are stopped side by side on the pavement (which happens every single race) where is a leader or faster car going to go? The grass is my choice. If there is a big tire there I have to choose the back of the car. Thats not good for anyone.

Put the tires on the corners, that is a very good safe idea, but please keep them off the rest of the track.

Thank you again for the pay Jim, it's nice to see a promotor increasing the purse instead of cutting it!!

Todd "Grass Master" Metz Jr
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
ken#8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have driven the 8 for many years I like the tires it stops the others from going in the grass to get around you or cut the corner and slam into you If they are there they will think before they hit em and if they dont they will remember the next time TIRES ALL THE WAY Laughing

as far a a champion how are you going to determine who wins if there is a different winner every time no points awarded ?? pull a name from the hat and say they are the champ ??? just asking
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Figure 8 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: