Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Tires for 2009
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaddMike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Tires for 2009 Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone knows now that we were deceived into thinking that we were going to get the old MMA compound tire.

That's not what we got. We were lied to.

I cannot afford to support American Racer anymore. I LOVED the MMA tire, but I've lost all respect for them after this.

These tires they stuck us with are junk. They are fast for 2 nights if you are lucky enough not to blister one. Same as what was happening last year.

I cannot afford to buy 4 tires every other week.

So what are the options? Am I the only one who feels this way?

A lot of guys might say "If you can't afford to race, don't race". But that isn't the solution when we can't even get a full field of cars. That line of thinking will keep the car count down for sure.

So what's going to happen?

Mike
oldgold

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: tires Reply with quote

Mike they need to find a hard tire that will last
racing at the cost of buying tires will bankrupt a racer if nothing is done
promotors wake up WE cant race at a track that needs new tires every night the only winner in this is the tire guys. hoosiers arent that great either if you make a tire that will last tire guys wont be happy about selling tires that last 4-5 weeks but racers will. dirt tires will last all season if you dont chunk, or overheat them. racing is getting to the haves or have nots 1 street stock driver at owosso has bought 10 sets of tires already this season at$ 460 a set ($4600 dollars) way too much money spent for $200 -$300 to win if you win. they say that the hoosier 880 is a good tire at kalamazoo, dont know . Confused
oldgold

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires for 2009 Reply with quote

MaddMike wrote:
I'm sure everyone knows now that we were deceived into thinking that we were going to get the old MMA compound tire.

That's not what we got. We were lied to.

I cannot afford to support American Racer anymore. I LOVED the MMA tire, but I've lost all respect for them after this.

These tires they stuck us with are junk. They are fast for 2 nights if you are lucky enough not to blister one. Same as what was happening last year.

I cannot afford to buy 4 tires every other week.

So what are the options? Am I the only one who feels this way?

A lot of guys might say "If you can't afford to race, don't race". But that isn't the solution when we can't even get a full field of cars. That line of thinking will keep the car count down for sure.

So what's going to happen?

Mike
mike if the fields were left to drivers that could afford to race there might be 5 cars. Sad promotors better start helping the drivers instead of the other way around.
Drake Racing 14 28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier 970. i've been around the 970 with the trucks and they are a great tire.
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a driver who has raced or at least hot lapped on a few different tires. My choice is always going to be the Hoosier 970.

The 880 is junk on a modified, the 704 (MMA) tires are junk in my opinion, the 970 is the most repeatable tire.

The 970 seems to be the tire to beat. USA must feel it's a pretty good tire. Look at where they race, Anderson, Berlin, ORP, Toledo, Winchester, Salem, Nashville.

We all know the challenges of getting the mods on the 970's at Spartan. I'm sure that those who make the decisions know as well. But if it were up to me, we'd be on the 970's for sure. Some will argue that we won't get any more cars. Well look at this way. The few guys that showed up because they were allowed, bought AM racers by the end of the night. Luckily for them they're budget permitted that. I've known guys that have gone to a guys barn pulled 6 nasty, dirty, crusty looking 970's out. Taken them home aired them up, came to the track and ran in the top 5. Try that with the 704. As is the tires are costing more than just a tire a night. I have to at least scuff them, which means another hot lap session. Well that's 2-4 gallons at $6.50. So this deal has cost me a lot of money this season. I cut my program to just Spartan because I can't afford to burn up 3 tires a weekend, for this payout. The powers that be have some important decisions to make.

I'll take heat for this statement but here goes:
It is asinine that these are the only two tracks on this tire, period! Everybody else runs the 970, it's universal. That makes me feel like we're a little behind the others.

I also know that if they would have brought the tire they said they were bringing it wouldn't be that bad of a deal, at least we'd be getting 3-4 nights out of tires. I've heard a nasty little rumor that American Racer is trying to make a tire that is equivalent to the 970. What the heck good is that. I'm going to show up to a USA race at Anderson and say "Well this tire is equivalent". Yeah I'm sure any one who knows will automatically say that I would probably have to buy 4 970s to run that night.

All I can say is that I hope in the off season we can all get together and come up with some solutions to this issue.

Mike I feel your pain!

Perry
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 970 has changed since you ran on them last Perry. As for the 970 I personnallly think that they suck. They are not as good as you guys are saying. Ask the guys from Owosso and Whittimore some top running teams will agree that they want the 704 tire back. They are having to replace them just as often as we do with our current tires(To be able to compete). I am sure that everyone that races at Spartan and Springport are so sure that the 970 is the best tire but how many have actually RACED on them this SEASON??? I am pretty sure we will be on the 970 for next season because thats what the HOMIES want but you should check with other drivers than just the HOMIES buddies from Kalamazoo.
Ask drivers like Luckhurst, Todd Matheson, laci Donnert and the other drivers from the east that want to go to the American Racer 704.

Aaron
MaddMike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 704 is the tire we are currently running isn't it? Or am I mistaken.

Had they really given us the old MMA tire we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But they deceived us and gave us a soft tire anyways.

How can they label it HARD on the label and have the rubber come right off in one night....or if you manage to get them through the night, they aren't worth a squat the next week.

I don't know what the answer is... But I'm not happy giving money to a company that LIED to us.

The old MMA tire was 3 tenths slower and it stayed that way for weeks, and never blistered. That was the tire that everyone voted for last fall, and this junk, blistering, soft, wearing out every weak POS is what we were gonna get no matter what we asked for.

Mike

Last edited by MaddMike on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 704 does last longer and that is not what we are on right now. I was planning on having that hard tire this season. All this tire that we have now is allowing the motors to shine and help the drivers out that usually aren't that fast to be fast enough to run up with the normally faster drivers.I still think that is what we should go with is the 704 compound(last longer and is all around good tire).

Aaron
MaddMike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 704 the real MMA tire, or is it another different one.
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

704 is real one there is different compounds like the difference from last years to this years that are almost the same but a little different number. I gave John Mamula 2 of them for last Friday, I will see if I can get them back for this week. They were sticker tires and I was going to run them but he wanted to try them.

I have not had a blistering problem this season just haven't been able to keep fresh ones on the car like some guys.
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even John will say WOW! That's a whole lot different tire.

As far as the 970 goes. I've got mine from Kzoo earlier this season. In fact I'd be there every night possible had it not been for the engines.

I'm sure everyone does want this tire. It makes a bad setup look good for most of a race. The 970 has less forward bite, less side bite, and it lasts longer. We all just got to used to being able to plant it to the floorboards that's all. I miss the MMA tire, really I do. It was fast, manageable, and easy to repeat. This piece of crap I'm on now doesn't even hold size from one session to another. So bring me a tire that costs the same, I can get 3 nights out of a right rear, and brings handling back into the equation. There have been nights I shouldn't have been able to finish where I did, but if your willing to sacrifice some tires you can hold position.

So comparing the 970 to this 704 is no contest in my opinion. Which is all this is, my opinion. Take it or leave it.

By the way, there's only one other person that I've ever heard refer to anyone as "homies", and ironically he's complained that we're not on the 970. So we'd gain one car right there.
modfan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered how long it would take before someone noticed the homie comment.I was just messing with the Homies. lol
I would also agree to give up some speed to get consistancy. I think still think that the 970 sucks in my opinion and the only reaseon that everyone else runs them is because Hoosier BUYS their way into tracks and or they by a series. Hoosier now owns about 80% of the short track race tracks tire business and there quality is going down due to that. Once we go to the 970 next season maybe it will be easier to work with that junk tire.
Lack o Diesel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on some points but against on others. It's good to get some good info out there for others to see. I like the 970, good bad or indifferent. It's by far more consistent, not in times so much but in size and condition. I liked the 704, it was a good tire to set up with. It let chassis shine a lot of nights. We don't have the passing we used to. Even last year on the Street Stock tire we passed more than this. Which I would have been happy to stay on that tire. Plain and simple I don't know how we're all being able to run like this. In a way I'm glad season is almost up so I can quit spending so much on tires. I didn't anticipate needing tires this often. Also my reasoning for the 970 is because (no matter the reason) every other track is on them. I'll race Spartan on Fridays, and I'll have the Michigan Racing Scene to help me chose a track on Saturdays. I think as long as we keep it respectful this is a good topic to start talking about. Jim may not comment but he at least reads our comments. So if anyone has any constructive comments I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.

By the way Modfan, you've been there all year now. That makes you a homie........ lol

Perry
ron1r31

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: bull Reply with quote

just to let you all know what i think about the 970. i wouldn't give you a dime for every 970 made . i think they are the biggest peace of s--- tire every made. i've got a set of am racer that have over 350 laps on them. i have a set of 970s that i didn't even get a hole night on them over at owosso. you all think they are all that good ask harry foot what he thinks about them. like modfan said the only reason the guy at the tracks run them is becaue the track gets paid to run them. mike for being junk tire you sure do go fast on them and perry you don't do all that bad. and thats all i have to say about that. F. G.
MaddMike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be fast no matter what tire we choose. As will all of the guys who can setup and drive a car.

I just don't want to spend so much money to run well. If we all gotta buy 2 tires a night to run up front, then we all have to finish in the top 3 to make ends meet. There aren't enough spots in the top 3 for all of us... And I doubt that Jim is going to raise start money to $216.

I don't mind having less grip. I like a rock hard tire. It makes the driver more important, and it makes a well balanced setup come through in the end. It also makes big engines useless.

I don't really care much about running the same tire as other tracks either. Yeah, It's more wheels and tires to buy if you want to go somewhere else... but you're gonna wear out tires any time you race. So running 970's at Owosso 1 night isn't going to wear out your other tires.

I know the 970 is a pretty common tire, but why switch to it because it's popular. Let's switch to the tire that is the best for us racers.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: