Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Pure Stocks Next Year @ Springport (If there is a next year)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gusey Racing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Pure Stocks Next Year @ Springport (If there is a next year) Reply with quote

If there is a next year at Springport.

What rules changes in the the Pure Stocks if any might happen?

I'm sure people are already thinking and lobbying for changes.

So I was wondering what people might be thinking.

Swap meets are coming up. So the sooner people know the better.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adam,

Right now, there is nothing certain about next year. I haven't been able to figure out a plan that would be suitable for the drivers as well as suitable for the speedway's operation. I doubt that basing the pay on the front gate would work again. It didn't work very well this year for the drivers. Plus, after raising the minimum starting pay, the front gate was always used up and I had to dip into the pit gate receipts in order to pay the purse. Too often, that didn't leave enough to pay the bills.

The car count has started to come around quite nicely and will probably be good next year. It looks real good when the car count comes up, but financially, it means more money going out for the purse. So, unless there is a good crowd in the stands, it's hard to make ends meet. That's what happened at the Michigan Cup. We had a very nice turnout in the pits, but had the worst crowd of the year in the grandstands. With the big purse (and bigger than expected), the Michigan Cup was barely a break even event. I needed to make a profit to finish paying some bills. Now, I am borrowing a little money to finish out the season.

Anyway, assuming I'm the one running the track again for next year, the lineup will look like this:

ABC Stock Car Series
Pony Stocks
FWD Pure Stocks

Plus there will be one or two travelling shows each week.

Not sure about running an Econo Mod class yet. That's simply an idea that might work or it might not work, not sure.

The RWD Pure Stocks as we knew them in 2007 will be part of the ABC Series just like they ran at the Michigan Cup. But again, not sure who will be running the show, so the above is not definite yet.

-Maurice
Drake Racing 14 28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice i have to chim in on the potnetial for next year. abc stock car on a weekly basis won't work, we want to build a car for a class and be competitive for that class. ABC is good for a special shows at which you've got cars coming from everywhere. but your main weekly draw are cars from spartan. we build our pure stock to the spartan pure stock rules and then we want to race on saturday but we arn't going to be competitve.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ABC method would work on a weekly basis also. You could still run your legal Pure Stock and it would be a competitive C-Main car. Slap on some racing tires and it's a good B-Main car.

Another advantage is if anyone is cheating in the Pure Stock class, it wouldn't matter with the ABC system. Sure we could tech them harder, but that's easier said than done. There's too much resistance and I keep hearing, "If you're going to check that on my car, you better check everyone else too". Or "I'm going to leave it like that until you get everyone else to change also". It gets pretty tiring after awhile.

Illegal motors are a problem in the Pure Stock class and always will be a problem. With the ABC method, it doesn't matter. If you want to use a motor that isn't allowed in the Pure Stock, go ahead, you'll just run faster and be racing against faster cars.

With the ABC system, everybody races against other cars of the same speed based on qualifying. Once in the race, the better drivers will shine. That was proven at the Michigan Cup.

So, as I already stated, if I'm running the show next year, we'll be using the ABC method. If someone else runs the show, it could be something entirely different.

-Maurice
circle8track

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kyle, the ABC won't work on a weekly basis. The theory is there but the reality is that there isn't enough cars to make that big of a difference. The fast "Pure" stocks are running 19.0ish laps and the average fast "legal" pure is about a 19.6 to 19.9. It just isn't enough difference to split them all up with out having a lot more cars.
Pure Stock #8
2007 Spartan Speedway Track Champion
2006 Racin' and Rockin' Winner
Mopar93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, the cars that are there would make up an A-Main and a B-Main with about 14-16 cars in each one.

But in any case, see how hard it is to come up with a plan that will work for next year? There's just too many "what ifs" and it's too easy to make the wrong decision.

-Maurice
circle8track

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Maurice it is very hard to run a track. I have been racing for a about 4 years now and I have to say that the way you ran Springport this year was one of the best tracks I have seen ran in a long time. I have always said that if I had a track I would make up a rule book and stick to it. It's hard to believe sometimes but go around and talk to the racers one on one, if you get them in a group a lot of them would share their opinion but about 90% of the racers I have talked to, the only thing they want from a track is a rule book that is solid. Make the rules at the begining of the year and stick to them strickly all year long. It's hard to do but I think if a track was to do it they would have a full pit every week because all the drivers could come and know that there car had a chance to compete. That's my opinion and I'm sure I will get lynched for it but there it is.
Pure Stock #8
2007 Spartan Speedway Track Champion
2006 Racin' and Rockin' Winner
Bardenracing42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you talked to a 100 drivers, you would get a 112 different opinions on the the track should be run/what rules to use. No problem with that, as that is what makes racing unique. I have seen that from both sides of the fence (track official and competitor). Provided YOU run the track next year, Maurice I will support you whatever is decided. I just don't know right now if that will be as a track worker or a competitor (likely as a competitor).

To all other drivers: I know we all have our opinions on what should and shouldn't be done and some will have things work out in their favor and some won't. But isn't that how life goes? We gotta give and take a little. I am just asking that for the sake of HAVING a springport to run at in 2008, we all put our ego's aside and just roll with what Maurice wants to do. If he hasn't proven he is a great promoter and hasn't earned our trust by now he never will and should throw in the towel. If we get in the habit of telling him something won't work we are pretty much making a self-fulfilling prophecy. Let's just all try to roll with whatever and make 2008 as great as 2007 was. If were not in agreement about doing that, we just might be spending our Saturday nights turning wrenches in our garages instead of at the track.
iluvracing84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what the big deal is with the ABC division being a full time thing if Maurice runs the track next year. I had this talk with Steve earlier, and this is what I came up with:

If Maurice just did the regular Pure Stock division, it would be the same as last year. You'd run against almost the same cars, and if you are slower, you would still be slower, if you were faster, you'd still be faster. And he would have to tech a bunch of cars, and have people threatening to leave if he makes them run legal. Which in my opinion, is bullcrap. Why can't people just run by the freaking rules? But I know, they won't.

Anyways, so if Maurice did ABC, you'd still be running with the same cars, plus some. And that would open up people from other tracks to come run their cars as is, and then, if we had even enough cars to have 2 races, that would split it up. Probably the top 6 or 7 pures that ran at springport this year would be in the faster race, and the bottom would run in the slower race, with each class having a mix of new cars. So what is wrong with that? You'd get some different competition. Some of you faster cars might have to actually race to win, instead of just heading right to the front and taking off, being a lap ahead of everyone else.

I think that the people that are having problems with this are the faster running cars. They are afraid someone from another track is going to come and be faster than them and win every week. But like from our point of view, Steve would have a better chance if he ran with some slower cars, instead of running with the 28, 51, 83, etc, every week and getting his butt kicked because he had a legal bone stock motor. I'm not claiming the other cars aren't legal, but I'm saying that our car was probably one of the purest stock cars at Springport in the pure stock division. And of course I've heard rumors flying about cars being illegal, but threatening to leave the track and never come back, so they were let go. But as I said, those were rumors that I heard. Couldn't tell you if they were true or not. I just think it would be okay to run the ABC class. It would get more cars, and more competition out to Springport.
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to add something, but April said everything I was going to say..

except I bet that Adam Gusey had the purest, pure stock.
Gusey Racing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice
Thanks for the quick response.
I'm all for the ABC deal.

I have two sets of American Racers.
If I want to use them I could.
If I don't I have a set and a half of street tires and will probably have two full sets by spring.
Either way I choose I'm all set.
My car might be faster depending on what I do to it like buying new carrier and gears etc.Heck if I figure I shouldn't spend or don't have the extra money. My car might be just as slow next year. Doesn't worry me either way as along as I'm having fun. Smile

I also think the ABC deal eliminates alot of grey areas and work for the techs.
iluvracing84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Patrick, Adam's car was the purest pure stock. I just figured ours was probably down there somewhere also. I'm glad I could say everything you wanted to say without you having to type it! lol...
monzilla80

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I was the purest Pure Stock at Spartan and got walked on all season. I think the ABC idea is good. It will definetally eliminate the abuse of the rules using your power and money.

I might have to abandon Spartan next year for Springport. It cant hurt.
Drake Racing 14 28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iluvracing84 wrote:
But like from our point of view, Steve would have a better chance if he ran with some slower cars, instead of running with the 28, 51, 83, etc, every week and getting his butt kicked because he had a legal bone stock motor. I'm not claiming the other cars aren't legal, but I'm saying that our car was probably one of the purest stock cars at Springport in the pure stock division. And of course I've heard rumors flying about cars being illegal, but threatening to leave the track and never come back, so they were let go. But as I said, those were rumors that I heard. Couldn't tell you if they were true or not. I just think it would be okay to run the ABC class. It would get more cars, and more competition out to Springport.

On May 25th, 2007 spartan speedway tech officials pulled the top 5 finishing pure stock cars into the tech barn to check vacuum, open rearend, stock springs, and rocker arms. out of the top five cars the only car that had made the required 15 inches of vacuum was the 28 car which was also the feature winner that evening. all other cars failed the vacuum rule. no changes have been made to the engine since that time. and all other items checked that evening were deemed legal to the 2007 pure stock rules. maurice and chuck were performing the tech that evening along with other track officials. were any of these tests performed at springport?

several easy checks that can be performed with minimal time/effort are compression, vacuum,and cam lift.

-Drake Racing
Doug, Kyle, Spencer
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We pulled cars into the tech barn at Springport at least 3 times. There was several weeks the 28 car wasn't there, so you may not have realized we did that.

-Maurice
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: