Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

rookie, please help w/ tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kdog racing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: rookie, please help w/ tires Reply with quote

this will be my sons first year in pony stock,since the sumitomo tire is no longer available any ideas on what tire we should run?
Mopar93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: rookie, please help w/ tires Reply with quote

Kdog racing wrote:
this will be my sons first year in pony stock,since the sumitomo tire is no longer available any ideas on what tire we should run?

This one might be OK:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+T4&partnum=97TR4HTRT4

But to know for sure, someone will have to try it.

-Maurice
Kdog racing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a post last year there was talk about running hoosiers,maybe that is the way to go,or we spend lots of money trying different tires, just thought I would throw that out there, any help would be very appreciated thanks........
BDR1979

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoosier Tires are not the way to go. This division is set for rookies and lower end racers. Hoosiers are $85 per tire. Champiros are what some of the top running A cars are running that dont have any more Sumos.
daytonapony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, the hoosier WOULD be the way to go if people would realize it's only a slight investment for a tire that lasts much longer. People see it as a race tire and FREAK so it won't be welcome at Spartan. Once you race on it this summer at SMS you'll understand it's pros far outweigh the cons.

Maurice, I haven't raced on the T4 but my sister did put a set on her VW Bug. They wern't nearly as soft as the HTR200 on the durometer (I don't remember how far off but it was very noticeable) I can't say anything about their on track performance but would probably buy a set to at least try.

Kdog, last year Wayne Beckner was running the Champiro GT and they didn't seem to affect his times. Other drivers were using them and liked them very much. I had a few drivers tell me without being shaved they did not last nearly as long and were prone to chunking on the RF. The Sumo would do the same thing to me without being shaved, others never had a problem.

My father and I were lucky enough to have enough Sumos to last the season last year. Had we ran out I would have ran the Champiro GT after seeing how well Wayne ran on them!!
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
2010 and 2011 Pony stock Track Champion
15.23 Fastest FWD lap ever at Spartan on fun night.
15.872 Fastest pony stock lap during the season.
Kdog racing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, coming from 5yrs in quarter midgets and 3yrs in mini cup I have no info on dot tires,we have only ran racing tires,,,,just makes sence hoosiers $85 dot tire $50-$60 plus having them shaved ...... Next ? Iam in bay city no one here shaves tires,where can I get them done? Thanks...
daytonapony

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kdog email me at 79zeph@gmail.com.

I can help you out with the tire shaving.
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
Kdog racing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytonapony thanks for your help, I will contact you when I get my new tires.
Kdog racing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bring this back up,,, 4 different stores the cheapest price I can find on the Champiro GT is $64.00 then to have them shaved, So I called my hoosier guy (that I have used for 5 years) he said the hoosier 790 tires are $80.00 and they will last a lot longer... so from a entry level stand point (pony stock) it would be more cost efficient to run the hoosier, after all this is a RACE CAR they should run racing tires, and leave the DOT tires for the streets, just my opinion but rules are rules so I will pay more for a less grade tire and replace them more often, oh well we are looking forward to a great and fun year...
Mopar93

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea behind keeping DOT tires is not so much that they are better or worse than switching over to a 790 tire but the fact that it will still keep the class better for the guy who wants to race but can't afford $320+ for a set of racing tires.

The guy with no money can put cheap old used tires on his car and still race. He doesn't care because he runs in the back anyway.

The more backmarkers there are, the better off the class will be. 20 extra backmarkers makes for a pretty darn good C main. And they will all have a lot of fun and race well together.

The class has been picking up quite well over the past couple of seasons. Switch to a racing tire and it will fade away in one season.

Put the old KCar on a racing tire and the Neons won't stand a chance. The car with the most torque off the corner will be the winner.

-Maurice
daytonapony

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mopar93 wrote:
Put the old KCar on a racing tire and the Neons won't stand a chance.

You should pick up the old girl and come out to SMS with it!! It would be fun to see it with someone who knows how to tune and drive it!
Metz Racing #79
Team Beacon
Never Dead Racing
Mopar93

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daytonapony wrote:
You should pick up the old girl and come out to SMS with it!! It would be fun to see it with someone who knows how to tune and drive it!

That would be fun, if I could afford to buy it. If I did, I would just take it to Spartan and maybe an occasional trip to Owosso. I have no desire to go to Springport this year.

-Maurice
tricknology

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any new info on which tires to get for 2012?

how are the Champiro GT ?

any other brands that are good?
Rand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricknology wrote:
any new info on which tires to get for 2012?

how are the Champiro GT ?

any other brands that are good?

Arnold,

Are you thinking of trying Pony Stocks?

Rand
tricknology

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We built a neon team car, for everyone on our teams to race,,except me.

we are gonna run the 5 or 6 Flat rock fwd 4 cyl races, and some spartan races with various team members/crew.

Then the end of this year my Nephew Adolf's son Anthony who is 12/13 may race it at Spartan, and next year (2013) anthony will race the neon full time at spartan.

He has an uncle that lives close to spartan, so as joke I am gonna make him tow the Neon to spartan using his uncle's vintage farm tractor.

i can see it now on the local Lansing TV news,,,(video) 13 year old stopped by police because he was driving a farm tractor to get his race car Spartan speedway!

his uncle arnold was taken to jail wearing a spartan speedway hat and t-shirt, for contributing to the deliquincy of a minor.

After posting bail, arnold signed a deal with the local john deer dealer to sponsor anthony's pony stock for 2013.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pony Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: