Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Pro Lates Legal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chmotorsports71

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Pro Lates Legal? Reply with quote

Have a buddy with a AC pro late model that he can no longer afford to race there. It is an older Howe big spring car that just isn't competitive anymore against the new crate late models. It has a ABC template body, but has a GM crate engine with aluminum heads. Just wondering if he can come and race it at Spartan in this new class, or whether he would have to run against the supers?
schinde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Given that I will be teching this class this year due to not being able to field a car out of my wallet...........

Aluminum heads are not legal in the Spartan Stock division, and there may likely be an issue with engine setback in the chassis. 2 1/2 inches is all the setback that is allowed.

Other issues may be dealt with by a weight addition.

That being said, Jim will be the ultimate arbiter of this, I will check with him and see if there is any possibility that this car can run in this class. Or perhaps he may weigh in here also.

have a good day,

schinde
chmotorsports71

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any chance that a weight rule could be put in to allow this car? I know at Dixie and Owosso they allow the crate cars with aluminum heads to run with the steel headed built motors. From what I know (which is little) they seem to run together pretty good. And the steel headed cars have to run a 2-barrel carb. Seems like the asa standard chevy crate engine would be at a power disadvantage anyway. Just trying to get my buddy to get his car out and come play at Spartan. I know he won't be competitive against the supers though.
schinde

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I will speak with Jim about this, as far as allowing him to run with a weight penalty. No guarantees though.

One question, what is the setback on the motor. 2 1/2 is all that is allowed, I honestly think that setback will be a bigger advantage to that car than alum heads. Not sure we can get around that one, even with weight.

have a good day,

schinde
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aluminum head (on a crate engine) probably can be worked out. That is an issue that we need to look at. There may be other issues though such as engine set back that would need to comply with the rules as written.
Racer7L

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote no on the aluminum heads. Got no way to prove it is a crate motor. Biggest down fall of the crate buy it brand new and it needs more work to make it right. Or simply do what you want and then reseal it yourself.
MaddMike

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of teching this car for a trial basis is really nothing that I see any problem with. However, for the car to run on a regular basis, or for pro-lates to become legal, some written guidelines would certainly be needed.

Myself, having been through the transition in the modified division, would be the first one to simply recommend allowing aluminum heads in the division. But that isn't the issue at hand.

For not being able to tell if the crate is truely legal...I suppose that could be valid to an extent...but then, it's still just a 23 degree head small block...all the old sportsman motors would eat it for lunch even if it had a cheater cam.

Mike
lansingsportsrage.com

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a dog in this fight.. so take this for what its worth..

this is a classic example of rules scope creep at its worst..

an aluminum head, crate late model was NEVER intended as a spartan stock.

making up rules to allow one car to race, well perhaps well intentioned, is a detriment to the rest of the cars that fit the rules.
Jim Leasure

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"needs to be looked at" only means that we need to know more about the issue. That statement shouldn't suggest anything one way or another. It just means we are trying to be open minded to options.

I wish I would have not said "probably could be worked out" because I don't know that. The Spartan Stock rules a very new as well as untested. I have said many times that rule changes typically do not serve the track well. Especially once the season has started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spartan Stocks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: