Back to the
main site

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sole intent of this board is to provide an option to communicate quickly and effectively with the racing community. Any post considered to be mean-spirited in nature or contains false information will be deleted. Questions and comments are welcome and should be forwarded to spartanspeedway@gmail.com.
Click to View All Messages within 24 hours

Curious about modifieds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brewster1958

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Curious about modifieds Reply with quote

Have pondered the idea of running a modified, or perhaps a sportsman car. I was wondering, if you can still build a modified, like the older ones using, say a full size frame, from a Chevelle, or Monte Carlo? I know years ago, a friend of mine took the fenders off his late model, and ran modified, on dirt. Of course those days have changed.

I have a '79 Monte Carlo, thought of racing sportsman, but then thought modified might be more fun. Just want your thoughts, don't need anyone slamming my intelligence. Been around for a while, just want someones opinion. Thanks.
Sortabigg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brewster, the sportsmans are a little more track specific. The rules for sportsman/street stocks are different just aboout everywhere. the mods on the other hand are a little more similar most tracks, as far as running ashpalt anyways. Others can correct me if they like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
brewster1958

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. No matter which way I would go, I would only race at Spartan, or Springport. Really would be pressing for me to go anywhere else. Thanks.
Mopar93

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To build a Modified from that 79 Monte Carlo, about the only thing you'll use from the car is the front half of the frame, the lower control arms, the steering gearbox, and some of the steering linkage. Everything else will have to be bought or fabricated. It would be much easier to buy a good used Modified and go from there.

For the Sportsman class, you can do this. You'll gut the car severely including inner panels anywhere you can to save weight and install a complete rollcage. To run competitively at Spartan, you'll need to redo the rear suspension with a 3-link setup. You will also need an engine and transmission ( both done right ), not to mention many other parts and pieces. But it can be done many different ways depending on your budget.

The easiest way to get this car on the track is in the Pure Stock class. Mostly just gut the car, install a cage and either run the same engine and trans that is in the car or freshen up a 350 engine and a Turbo 350 trans. Then with some fine tuning and tweaking here and there, you could have a competitive Pure Stock.

-Maurice
Rock the Kazmar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've seen guys that start out in the mods with a full frame under their car. ken buchner did it and to be honest, i was quite impressed with how he did. an actual ground up modified will have alot more adjustments that you can make, but that's not always a good thing. as long as you get your roll centers right, have an adjustable sway bar, and have a jack bolt on each corner so you can play with the ride heights and wedge, i don't see any reason why you couldn't be somewhat compeditive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Modifieds All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: